Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's the Little Things

One of the many joys of adopting an older child is seeing them "get it" as they realize on a new level the permanency of family.  We had several framed pictures of her around the house, but none on the walls.  We have had new family portraits made, but they have not been printed and framed just yet.  I had a wall with four 8x10 photo collages of our oldest four kids so I ordered a collage of Mari that would match theirs.  It arrived in the mail and I framed it today.  I began the task of rearranging the pictures to accommodate #5 and she came into the room to watch.  I showed her the picture and she gasped in delight..."That's Mari!" she exclaimed.  Then I showed her how I was putting a nail in the wall and, as I hammered, she asked "Are you OK, Mom?"
"Yes,"  I said.  "It doesn't hurt me.  I am just putting the nail in so I can hang your picture."
Then I did it.  I put her picture on the wall...
for the first time.
The smile on her face was magical.
She was so excited she was about to jump out of her skin.

Why?


You see, that hole in the wall is permanent.  That wall will never be the same.  There is a new picture, her picture, nestled among her new siblings on the wall.
Another layer has peeled away.
Another level of trust was revealed.
She belongs.

Family.


That word becomes richer every day.

1 comment:

Let's keep the conversation going...