Wednesday, August 7, 2013

When I am Weary

Jer. 31:25
For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.

Bone tired.  That is not a phrase I use often but it is fitting tonight.  Mental overload from the new of my son's first day at the homeschool tutorial coupled with keeping the rest of the kids on task despite the interruption to their morning shouldn't have made me this weary.  

But it did.  

I let them veg this afternoon, let them watch TV upstairs and I organized the school papers that came home today.  I looked at my planner and cut a couple of things out because they were not necessary and we just need a chance to breathe in the midst of curriculum and workbooks.  Tutors and therapists and extracurricular activities are all competing, threatening to encroach upon these daytime hours that we have set aside as protected, ordered, productive.  I have to guard these hours jealously in order to prevent the feeling of being rushed.

Schooling never goes well if we are rushed.

Tomorrow I look forward to snuggling in the big chair (because that didn't happen today) and reading two chapters of our book.  Maybe I'll make tea.  Maybe we'll have donuts for breakfast.  Today was hectic and tomorrow I am determined to slow it down and enjoy looking into the faces of my kids as we all gather together and conquer the day's assignments.  Today I am weary and needy so now I will go downstairs and pick up my Bible and finish reading the book of Daniel.  I will ponder the things of God and let Him satisfy my soul.

Yes, every languishing soul He will replenish.  

Look at the very next verse in Jeremiah chapter 31!

Jer. 31:26
At this I awoke and looked, and my sleep was pleasant to me.

I am thankful for that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...