Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Glory and Grace


The lights came on and her pink costume sparkled like a thousand stars.
The dance began.
Her eyes darted back and forth, nervously searching, but her feet continued to step and plie and turn.

Then that moment where I leaned out to my left, into the aisle...just three rows back.  I willed her to see me.
And she did.
Her face lit up and that smile...
oh, how that smile shone.

Her eyes fixed on her daddy and me and she danced her heart out to that song that makes me cry, especially considering I had just returned from dropping Katie off at camp:


When I love I give it all I've got
Like my mother does
When I'm scared, I bow my head and pray
Like my mother does


When I feel weak and unpretty
I know I'm beautiful and strong
Because I see myself like my mother does
(Like My Mother Does by Lauren Alaina)


I grinned all goofy and proud and held back the tears so I could focus on my beautiful ballerina girl in the spotlight.  I snapped pictures and smiled hard and nodded as she remembered the hard parts.

You've got it, baby.  You're doing it just right!

Another song.
She worshiped Him with her dance, singing out loud the lyrics:

Children of God, sing your song and rejoice for the love that He has given us all.
Children of God, by the blood of His Son, we have been redeemed and we can be called
Children of God...
(Children of God by Third Day)


More performances followed, each one sweet and beautiful and full of modesty and grace.  No booty shaking or belly buttons or false eyelashes on these girls.  No way.

Then the finale, rousing and energetic and jumping tutus waving streamers:

From every nation and every tongue
From generation to generation
We worship you
Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
We worship you for who you are.
We worship you
Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
We worship you for who you are
And You are Good.
(You are Good by Lakewood)


Cheers and applause and of course a standing ovation as the ballerinas bowed and grinned and giggled.  Daddies and siblings rushed the stage with flowers and little girls paused amidst hugs and roses to hear how wonderful they were and how proud we are of them.  In the chaos the lights still shone and the sequins sparkled almost as much as their happy smiles.

Gracie, at this point, had been performing for almost 6 hours between the two back-to-back performances. We had wondered how she would like it...would she want to stick with dance next year?
"Oh yes, I LOVED it!"  she gushed.
Well of course she did...if anyone was ever meant to wear a tutu, it is my Gracie girl!










1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I've enjoyed catching up. She's a BEAUTIFUL ballerina. Oh my, oh my, oh my!!! Cierah just had her recital on Sunday (jazz). I have two competitive swimmers now (Olivia and Reece) and Cierah is going to take a year off from dance to learn to swim (yes, the girl is 9 and still doesn't quite have the hang of it, lol.) Brandon just graduated preschool (pass the Kleenex; the same preschool where I saw YOU and your children on the slide presentation for Yancy last year; so cool was that.)

    Still homeschooling and we're joing a Classical Conversations community this fall, which I am super excited about. Also pondering a move to Dallas, but I do believe that decision is at least a year out. Other than that, Jesus loves me, this I know, and therefore all is right in our world. ;)
    Blessings,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep the conversation going...