Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thoughts from a mama who misses her girl

The letters are coming.  Sometimes one, sometimes four.  In the midst of our busyness at home, the visitors and guests and how did Summer end up this crazy fun I stalk the mailbox.
I miss her.
The first letters lightened my heart:
Dear Mom and Dad,
Everyone is so nice here!  Everyone is showing me the ropes, especially Sadie.  Me and her became camp BFF's right after you left then the others shortly followed!


Dear Mom and Dad,
How are you?  I'm amazing!


Then time began to pass and there was a thunderstorm that lasted all night.  Like every little girl, thunder is scary at night.  Especially when you are in a cabin without your mama.

I missed you so bad I cried last night but all of us did.  


I comforted myself with the mental image of 10 girls having a good, healthy cry because they were homesick and two 19 year old counselors getting schooled in the emotions of a cabin full of tweens.   I admit I had a little chuckle over that!

Another letter arrived in her signature scrawl, the one that gets bigger and messier the happier she is:
It is good weather.  I just got your letter today and I can't believe Drew hasn't lost his tooth yet!  I made 2 new friends.  Tell everyone I said I LOVE THEM!


Letters to her little sister, Gracie and big brother, DJ...letters telling how she cried when she got their letters because it made her happy.  Letters to Daddy and a father's day card because she wanted to be sure it got here in time so she sent it a week early.

I wrote to tell her Drew lost that tooth, and sent a picture so she could see.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I am great!  Tell Drew I am soooooo happy for him!  I have ridden the horses 2 times now and they asked me if I do competitive riding at home!!  I love you SOOOOO much!


The joy in her words lightened my heart.  To know she is living so full and feeling like she belongs in that group of sweet girls is answer to prayer.  Then this:

Dear Family,
Hi!  How are you?  I am not great.  I have not felt good but no one knows.  
I loved those pictures and drawings you sent me!  Gracie looked beautiful in her costume!  I only need one more strip of stamps.
P.S.  I did get to do Archery.
P.P.S.  I'm not good at it.


Oh my sweet girl.  This made me cry and laugh and pray more fiercely.   I don't know why she is not feeling well, but I suspect it is a combination of exhaustion and homesickness.  I know her.  She is probably being roused in the night by the sounds of nature all around.  I know how often she just needs to sit close and be near.  And this is that time in her life where that can't happen.  This is that time where I have to truly lift her up to God who loves her perfectly and let Him hold her and reassure her.

And this is that time where I have to tell her that I would probably stink at Archery too.

But I still think she is amazing.
I wrote her a long letter last night telling her just that, reminding her that she is in great hands and that the days are going quickly.
Only 15 left.
I encouraged her to smile and love and enjoy and trust Him.
And I prayed in my sleep, because that's what mamas do when their chickies are not in the nest.

I miss her so.
Lord, please be tangible to her today.  She needs it.
I need it.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings...
    My own daughter is 27 now, and about to give birth to her 2nd child in a few days. But I remember letters like the one you just shared. First there were letters from camp...and then many years later, there were letters from college. Sigh.

    A mothers prayers are a powerful thing. Continue to lift her up in prayer, all the days of your life.
    It is a spiritual blanket upon your child that wards off a good bit of the icky-stuff of this life:)

    Btw, I am joining your blog as a follower.
    Blessings to you and yours,

    In Him
    Grace

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep the conversation going...