Friday, June 15, 2012

Sprinklers and Screams

Three beautiful brown babies dance in the driveway as the sprinkler spits and sprays and they laugh.
I sit at my desk immersed in paperwork, signing up a 6th grader, a 5th grader, a 2nd grader and two Kindergarteners with the umbrella school for our next homeschool year.
I smile at their happy sounds drifting into the house.
Suddenly, an unexpected clap of thunder shakes the entire neighborhood and my mind immediately braces for what is next!
Three ear-splitting screams of terror and the wet splatter of feet in the kitchen as they breathlessly skid to a stop in front of me and declare "that was scary!"  I laugh and go outside to turn off the water...

and would you know they had the presence of mind to turn it off before running into the house?

These are the same kids who leave the hose running in their Barbie pool because they need to go potty, or go dig, or go for a walk...
or breathe.

I am shocked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...