Sunday, December 16, 2012

Blessed to be a Blessing

We baked four dozen cookies.  Chocolate chip, of course.  We wrapped them up in pretty cellophane bags, topped with a bright candy cane and curly ribbon.  Then I loaded up this rowdy group of five and drove down the road to the retirement home.

I hesitated, not knowing how to approach this.  My kids were shy at first, but I did not want this to be about me, supermom, taking my kids out to show off their incredible parenting.  I wanted this to be about humility, service, and giving of ourselves.  I wanted my children to experience loving someone they've never met because we love God and want to share that love.   I stepped back and let my kids do the talking.  The youngest ones, of course, were the least inhibited and I watched with a giant lump in my throat as my babies lived out the other half of James 1:27...visiting orphans and widows in their distress.

They walked shyly from room to room.  The sweet grandmas and grandpas were overjoyed at the sight of fresh young faces.  They patted cheeks, they hugged, and they just said over and over again "Thank you so much!"

I was a mess.  I couldn't control the tears any longer as my youngest two stood with a precious grandma and just showered her with smiles and hugs.  She could not have cared less about the cookies.  She just wanted to soak in these children.  It was beautiful.  Room by room we gave, smiled, wished "Merry Christmas" and soon even the older ones' reservations faded and they were embracing the sweet grandmas and grandpas, receiving hugs and kisses on the cheek and walking away smelling like perfume.  :)

Later that day, Drew came into the room with tears in his eyes.
"Are you crying?"  I asked.
"A little," he said.  "I was just thinking about this morning, and how I was a blessing."
I smiled.  "Yes, you were a blessing.  I am so proud of you.  But what made you cry?"
"Well, I was just telling Jesus about it, because Jesus is in my heart.  He asked me what I did today and I told Him."
My heart stopped for a moment.  "What did He say?"
Drew smiled and looked me in the eye.  "He said, 'Well, I sure do love you.'"

Bam.

Just like that happens every day, he said that.  Just like it is normal for the creator of the universe to chat like friends, he shared that sweet conversation with me.  It appears from what I read in Matthew 18:3 that it, indeed, should be normal!

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."  Matt 18:3

Unless we humble ourselves and sit at the feet of Jesus, we will never experience the fullness of the life He offers us.

This mama is faint with joy, overcome with gratitude for the awareness my children have of God's presence and love.

Yes, Lord Jesus.  Thank you from the bottom of my full heart.

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children."   Matt 11:25



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...