Wednesday, December 5, 2012

'Tis that season

Oh, how I love the Christmas season!  Lights and ribbons and glitter and candles aglow...all to honor the Light of the World, God's perfect and priceless gift to us:

Jesus.


We have begun, once again, our nightly gathering around the five tealight candles.  One for each child.  Daddy reads that story so familiar and the children listen while hands stay busy with Lincoln Logs or Legos.  
I fall in love with my husband all over again as his voice breaks over God's provision of the Ram for Abraham...how he spared Abraham's son, but would not spare His own for our sake.


I laugh as my children plot and plan and delight in surprising one another.  Their own lists are short because only three gifts may be requested.  (If three gifts were good enough for Jesus, then they are good enough for us!)  Each child gets a special trip to the store with Mom so they can shop, with their own money, for their siblings.  To see how well they know each other, how they take joy in anticipating the moment the gift is opened, how generous they are with one another, it truly blesses me.  I am so thankful for the closeness they share.  Amidst the daily grind and common arguing and picking at one another, there is this sweet love...this beautiful sense of belonging which they possess...that is a gift from their Heavenly Father.
We have many plans as we wind down our homeschooling semester.  There is that jar we are filling with coins and dollars as they do extra work around the house to earn money.  On Christmas Eve, the jar will be given to someone they have already chosen...to bless and encourage and change a life.  I'm so proud of the way they took this on and owned it.  There is the nursing home down the road, with grandmas and grandpas who may not have grandbabies to visit them.  We are going to bake cookies and love on them...and maybe make a special connection.  We keep coins in hand for those bright red Salvation Army buckets and the kids love dropping them in, saying "Merry Christmas" with a big grin and a full heart.

Yes, I love this season so much.  It reminds me of many important things.

It reminds me to slow...to be intentional in looking around and seeing how we, as a family, can be a blessing. 

It reminds me of grace...that I can rest in the security of my Father's love and rejoice that His covenant is not dependent on me.  

It reminds me to simplify...to consciously avoid the hustle and bustle and just enjoy these days, these children, and not feel like we have to do it all.  We don't.  We can't.  

I do hope you experience the wonder of Christmas in freedom this year.  Don't worry about details.  Don't feel like it all has to be perfect or picturesque to be memorable.  Just focus on Jesus.  Focus on the miracle of God rescuing us while we were yet sinners.  Read that old, old story and marvel in the absurd.  Let Him fill you and cause an outpouring that transforms your heart, your family and the lives of those around you.  

And just in case you are curious...

We are reading:

Our advent wreath:  

Other books we enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...