Monday, January 20, 2014

This Good Day

I read the last three pages of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech to my kids this morning.  When I got to the part...you know the one...where little black boys and girls and little white boys and girls can hold hands as brothers and sisters, I couldn't hold back the tears.  In a world where so much is wrong, I can look at my family and say that so much is right.  

Because one man dared to dream, dared to speak and refused to be silent, so much IS right in my family, church, and community.

Today I am thankful to get to live a little slice of Heaven right here, under the sun.  Every nation, tribe, and tongue...when we stand before the Throne will will stand as brothers and sisters.  And for those of us blessed to have multiple races living under our roofs and calling us "Mom" we get to begin now.  

What an honor.

What a privilege.

What grace.


Thank you, Dr. King and all those who stood arm in arm with him in the generation before mine.  Thank you for refusing to back down and risking it all for the generations to come.  Because of you God was able to build my family as He saw fit.  Because of you my kids' friendships are based on commonalities, never on color.  Because of you, the church is able to love more freely, without barriers of color or nationality.  May we not lose sight of your vision and admonition..."as we walk we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...