Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Word {What God wants from me this year...and the next...and the next}

And, BAM, we have a new year!
I don't know about you, but it really snuck up on me this time.  Despite my best efforts to keep Christmas low-key, it felt very busy and the season flew by.  It was wonderful, don't get me wrong, and was probably much more low-key than it would have been without being intentional to keep things at a slow pace, but I am about as far from Type A as it comes so the busyness, parties, recitals, games, dinners, etc. have worn this mama out!

So back to the topic at hand.  It is New Year's Day.  2014.  As I have reflected back on the past year I am keenly aware of God's grace in what were some pretty hard times.  He once again proved Himself faithful and carried us through some scary moments.  I look at my five children who are happy, healthy, and whole today and I realized that it might not have been so but for the grace of God.  I also realize that for too many families there is a real struggle to see God's hand in the hard muck of day-to-day living.  The lifeline feels just out of reach.

Trust me, I know.

So I have meditated on this lately.  I have read of others asking God for a word from Him for the upcoming year.  I thought to myself, "Hm, that sounds like a neat idea. I wonder if He would do that for me?"  I prayed about it and then let it go, because I didn't want to make it happen by looking for "the word' on every billboard or in every cloud formation.

Is He going to ask me to persevere?  That's a good word.  What about dedication, focus, living intentionally, or being organized?  (Not that I struggle with organization...ahem.)

So many "good words" have been shared on blogs and Facebook pages and I didn't want to be a copycat so I tried to just put the words of others out of my mind and hear from the Lord.

December 30 it came.  In a consistent whisper it came and it was undeniable from Him.

Prayer.

Prayer.

Of course!  Of course You would bring me back to the basic!  How often do I throw up prayers of desperation, even a quick "Thank you, Jesus," but neglect to sit...really sit and pray and wait upon You?  I've been reading my Bible every day and praying as I begin the day but the time spent in these most important of pursuits is disproportionate to the time spent on other things that have much less importance and, honestly, are often frivolous.

New Year blue phone prayer God Hello


I can try to be dedicated, focused, live intentionally and be organized.  I might even make headway.  But if I am not spending quality time at the Throne of God, I will fall short.
I can trudge through the hard days and hope for better tomorrow, but without devoting my whole self to true communication with the Lover of my Soul I will just trudge.

I don't know about you, but I want to do more than trudge.

...but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like Eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.  (Isaiah 40:31)

Sister, we have to stop trying and start waiting.  Falling on our knees has to stop being a last resort.  (I'm speaking to myself here!)  We cannot expect to keep a single New Year's resolution in our own strength because life will get in the way.  Surprises will interrupt our plans and if we are not in constant communication with our Father, drawing strength and vision from He who is never surprised, we are destined to fail.

And here's the thing.
This call to deeper, intercessory prayer?  This drawing upon my heart to cut out the fluff and make the One who formed the Heavens and the Earth my ONE THING?
I'll mess it up.
Yes, I will because it is what I do.  I will forget and realize that I forgot and kick myself for it but He will still be there, at the other end of the phone, refusing to hang up.  He will smile when I pick up my end of the line and whisper a timid "hello?" because He is faithful and it is never, ever, too late for a new beginning.

It is a New Year, which makes us feel like we have a clean slate with which to work.  But the truth is...and oh, I hope you hear this...

The truth is that every day is a clean slate.

As far as the east is from the west, so far does He remove our transgressions from us.  (Psalm 103:11-13)

If you have asked God for a word, I'd love it if you would share it here!  Happy New Year, friends!  May we live in His strength and power for His glory!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...