Friday, August 31, 2012

A solemn pause

Yesterday, as I took my oldest son to a music lesson, we were slowed by school traffic.  I sighed, a bit impatient, as the crossing guard held up her hand for me to stop.   But then, she started clearing a lane and I realized there was more going on than was at first apparent.

There was a funeral procession coming over the hill.
Bright lights of the police car flickered as it sped ahead to block the intersection and I prepared for the long procession to pass.  My heart was sympathizing with the mourners as I watched their solemn faces following the hearse.

But suddenly it was over and I blinked.

There only 4 or 5 cars in the procession, not the usual 20 or 30 that you see around here.

It troubled me.  Why so few?  Was it just a private graveside service for the immediate family?  I can understand that.  But where is the community?  Who is going to stand with them and hold them up in their grief?  Who is going to remind them of the good and laugh at the old stories after the tears have dried?

Who was this person that is now lowered into the grave?  Are these the only people who loved them?  Are they the extent of this person's influence?

Where is the celebration of a life well-lived?  This quiet, small cluster of cars just did not seem like enough and it haunted me all afternoon.

This morning, I ventured out to my front porch with coffee in hand and the questions came back to me.

How big is the circle of influence God has given me, and am I being faithful to connect and encourage others in their walk?  Am I living my life in such a way that others see Him?
Oh, I pray it is so.
I know the ways I stumble and fail every day, but I pray that I am reflecting the Father to every person God brings into my life.  I pray our lives end well, with celebration and song and hands joined in praise to Him who is the author and finisher of our faith and has created this huge, beautiful family we call the Church.
This huge, beautiful family that we have the incredible privilege of joining by His grace.

Ahhh, yes.  Grace.  It all comes back to that, doesn't it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...