Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Melt-your-heart Moments

Tornado sirens screamed and the sky grew dark.  We gathered blankets and dogs and my school planner (I forgot my purse...go figure) and took refuge in our tornado shelter.

No, this wasn't last Spring.  It was last Sunday.
In January.

Weird, weird weather.

It was just the two younger girls and me.  Daddy and the boys were at a basketball practice.  Katie was spending the afternoon with a friend.  I watched the weather and the little swirly symbols on the map that indicated cloud rotation.  One of them was too close to our neck of the woods for my comfort.

In the eerie quiet of the shelter, with wind raging and rain beating a horizontal rhythm on the garage doors we prayed for God to protect us all, to send extra angels to be with Katie, Daddy, and the boys wherever they were.  Mari was sitting a couple of feet away, between the dogs, wrapped in her blanket.  She looked at me and said, "Mom.  I feel scared."

"It's ok to feel scared," I said.  "But we have to remember that God loves us and we can trust Him."

"Can I ask for extra angels?"

"You bet," I grinned.  "Why don't you come over here and sit by us?  It might make you feel better."

After a moment of hesitation she came, settling on the other side of Gracie.  Gracie gently pulled Mari's head down onto her lap and stroked her hair back.  She whispered, "I'm so glad I have you."

"Me too," Mari said.

I held my breath.  My heart filled to overflowing, and I thanked Him for this small moment of adversity and that it drove these sweet girls together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...