Tuesday, July 9, 2013

For my big girl...

You are twelve years old today.  Twelve.  It seems like three minutes ago that you were this tiny little bundle of chub and I was staring at you, breathless with love and in awe that I held in my arms this daughter of my dreams.  Your name was finally your name and in a holy moment of grace you became my daughter.
I will never cease to be thankful.
Now you are growing out of little girlhood and quickly becoming a young woman.  Change is upon you and I watch you navigate these years with a sweet mixture of fear and excitement and I pray you know...I pray you never forget who you are and Whose you are.
I love how close we are.  I love how you tell me everything and that you are always beside me in the front seat of the car, chatting away and trusting me.  No secrets.  I do not take that privilege lightly.
You love hard.  You love well.  Your sisters look at you with bright eyes of admiration and they follow your every suggestion with a smile.  Your brothers, well, they take twisted delight in pestering you of course.  But while you were away at camp it became very beautifully apparent how much your presence in this family means to them.  They missed you and they missed you intensely.
Sweet girl, as your teen years approach I know you will be tempted to withdraw, to be afraid of what Mom would think or say about things.  I know peer pressure is strong and sometimes girls are just mean.  But you are stronger.  He who is in you is stronger.  I believe in you, my precious daughter.  You are a born leader.  God has gifted you uniquely to influence your generation.  You are going to shine for Him, show this world that there is a way of living...HIS way... that goes against the grain and results in true life, true joy.  I believe God is going to use your teenage years to draw others closer to Jesus because you are willing to speak out and not fall to the negative influences around you.
Guard your heart, sweet girl.  Guard your eyes and draw close to your King.  Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith who, for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.  (Heb. 12:2)
I am so thankful to be your mama.  I am so proud of the young woman you are becoming.  I am so blessed because you are mine.  To say "I love you" does not seem adequate, but because those are the strongest words of our language they will have to do.  I love you.  I love you with all that I am and always will.
Happy birthday, my precious daughter.   Be blessed, my darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...