Tuesday, May 14, 2013

An Unsolicited Book Review

After two years of homeschooling, I realized that reading aloud to my children needed to be upped as a priority.  I had them reading independently each day, but did not always sit the five of them down for a long session of listening.  So this year, I did just that.

It is the single best homeschooling decision I have ever made.

Yesterday we finished another book:  Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier.  For the past month I have read a chapter or two each morning.  My kids are allowed to play with Legos quietly during read-aloud time, so as the plastic pieces clicked into place I told them this incredible tale of a blind orphan who was the greatest thief who ever lived.  A tale that was scary, dangerous, and often dark.  A tale of a boy who is greater than he imagined, more important than he ever hoped.  A tale of character and courage, of victory and defeat.  

They loved it so much that they often ended up ditching the Legos for a comfy place on the couch.  (Including DJ, who notoriously needs his hands to be busy to listen well.)  But this book?  It was different.  This book captured the imaginations of us all and we found ourselves hanging on every word, nearly falling out of our seats with anticipation at the end of each chapter.  In a word, it was FANTASTIC.

Today, there was no Peter.  Today we wrapped up another day of school with the anticipation of finishing our year on Friday.  And, today, my kids said...

"It's kind of weird around here without Peter."

Yes, they miss  him!  And, oddly enough, so do I.

Here is the trailer for the book.  Get thee to the nearest bookstore and read this with your babes!   You will be so glad you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going...